Responsible for directing the movement and loading/unloading of vehicles and directing the movement of mobile plants. The Banksman will also control the movements of excavator or other mobile plants, by carefully monitoring the bucket for any obstructions and other vehicle movements and pedestrians.
- Clearly direct vehicles and mobile plant at all times ensuring they are kept separate.
- Minimise the amount of reversing where possible and be aware of the dangers caused when reversing.
- Use practical techniques and agreed on the system of signalling and hand signals to assist drivers and operatives in all manoeuvres.
- Be visible to drivers at all times whilst directing vehicles and plant.
- Stand in a safe position, from which to guide all vehicles without being in the way.
- Keep traffic areas free of pedestrians.
- Be fully compliant with PPE requirements of the site
- Communicate clearly and effectively on the 2-way radio at all times.
- Report any near-miss incidents involving vehicle movements in the yard to the Works Manager and Site Supervisors and complete associated paperwork.
- Comply with all Health, Safety, HR and Environmental policies
- and procedures.
- The above list is not exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post. Job descriptions are regularly reviewed to ensure they are an accurate representation of the post.
The right candidate will need to have a minimum of one year experience and must have in date a Traffic Marshall/Banksman Ticket and CSCS card.
The potential candidate for this position must have a can-do attitude, be punctual and reliable and be able to get to the site.